About a month ago i got an email from a super sweet reader saying that she was getting rid of this record cabinet and wanted to know if i wanted it – of course!

I brought it home to the garage and couldnt decide what i wanted to do with it.  Either take the record/radio stuff out and make room for storage as well as maybe making it so the speaker doors could open.  If i did it this way, i was thinking that it would be perfect for a media console and someone could hang there TV above it.  OR leave it as a radio cabinet and just refinish the outside (the record/radio work!).

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Record Cabinet in Sherwin Williams Dover White

I posted the “what would you do” question on Facebook and boy did you guys have opinions!!!  If i ever want an opinion about anything, FB is the way to get one fast!

The verdict was pretty much split down the middle…half say gut, half say leave as is.  Apparently records are coming back in style and people are now looking for these cabinets :)

After all that, my husband decided that we should keep it and use it in our new basement.  So, that was the plan and i painted it like i would want it for that space.  But, in the end we decided that it wasnt quite the right style for the space and lets go ahead and sell it.  Actually if it doesnt sell, i really like it in the room that its in now (in the future kids office).  And i would love to get some old school records that i remember listening to as a kid – Chipmunks anyone?!

…………………………

Anyways, the cabinet was in really good shape.  I just gave it a light sand and then primed with an oil based primer (the cabinet was very smooth and a little glossy, the oil based primer will adhere better than a water based primer).

After priming and a light sand, i gave it 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Dover White then distressed the edges with a cabinet scraper.

Lastly, i replaced the fabric over the speakers with a lightly printed linen

And the after….

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Record Cabinet in Sherwin Williams Dover White

(oops, still need to iron that fabric)

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Record Cabinet in Sherwin Williams Dover White

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Record Cabinet in Sherwin Williams Dover White

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Record Cabinet in Sherwin Williams Dover White

411

Color – Sherwin Williams Dover White in a Gloss finish

Distressing Technique – cabinet scrapers, i talked about those here

Fabric – i dont know, got it @ Home Fabrics a couple years ago

Accessories – blue containers recently @ Ikea, Bird Cage about a year ago @ Michaels

………………….

I dont know about you, but i really love this one!  I think the clean white works perfectly for this style of furniture.  I think it turned out perfect :)

By the way – this is up for sale in the Sweet Pickins Shop (local pick up only though, West Jordan Utah) – just sold :)

1. Elissa N
    Elissa N says:

Such a fun unique piece! You never disappoint in the making old things look new and super cool! One of these days I need to find a long cabinet/dresser/storage like that for my family room! :) good job friend!

2. Julie
    Julie says:

Love it! I really want a small-ish one for my great room. I’d have to gut it of course, because that’s where I plan to store blankets for couch-snuggling, random kids toys that don’t make it back upstairs, and extra hand towels for the powder room.

So pretty!

3. Patty Sumner
    Patty Sumner says:

You always make things beautiful! It is a blessing to have such vision for things. It makes me think of our the Heavenly Father sees us…always as beautiful….always with potential….Love that! The cabinet is wonderful. I bet your friend is looking at it now saying…”now way, I got rid of that”. BLessings and keep on creating.

4. Nancy R
    Nancy R says:

Simply Amazing transformation! I particularly like the fact that you are always willing to share techniques used. While I understand that you do this for a living, you understand that you are not going to lose business by helping others. Your willingness to share is greatly appreciated!

5. Linda Benton
    Linda Benton says:

I just wrote an article for At Home Tennessee and a designer took cabinet doors like these and put a heavy gauge metal screen in front, gathered fabric behind. It looked great and really gave the doors interest.

6. Marcee
    Marcee says:

Wow nice. Love the white! Such amazin talent. Gosh.

Not sure how you do all this. Obviously you’ve been blessed w/ tons of patience. I get totally frustrated before the project even begins! Ha. Also those paint & refinishing odors get me crabby.

Years ago we had a radio/record/tv cabinet. Most likely it was given away. The entire piece of furniture was very heavy.

7. Nancy R
    Nancy R says:

What an amazing transformation! I appreciate how you are always willing to share techniques, supplies and tips!! Thank you for sharing your talents.

8. Cindy S.
    Cindy S. says:

Oh wow! I love this piece! I have one that was “inherited” when we moved and while I love records and all the coolness of it, the color does leave a little to be desired. What a great idea. I will be looking at mine with fresh eyes now :)

9. James
    James says:

I can tell you a little about this console, it was purchased as a gift by the super sweet readers Great Grandma as a gift for her husband. He loved it and played records on it constantly it brought him great joy. Her Great Grandmother said if she had known how much he loved listening to music she would have bought him one years and years earlier. When the great grandparents passed away the console went to live with your readers Grandma where it mostly was used to display ceramics, and only once in a while was music played on it. When Grandma passed away it went to your readers home. It has been in a prominent place in three generations of homes for about 40 years. It looks like it has found another great home

10. Jessica
    Jessica says:

This is beautiful Sausha!! I have always thought about putting fabric on a piece but not really sure how,lol! Did you just use a spray glue?