Phewww – i am back!!  No that its unusual for me to go a week or two without posting, but this time it wasnt my fault!  My computer bit the dust – uggghhhh!  But i got a new laptop and i am back up and going!

………………..

I finished up the most awesome piano last week – i am in love!!  I decided its the exact type of piano that i want to get for myself.  The color that my client chose was perfection – ive already painted a dresser that color and i cant wait to use it again.

So here is the before…pretty, yes but it was looking a little shabby and def needed freshening up.  The details were really pretty and stood out so much more after a coat of paint/glaze.

And i didnt get a close up pic, but the old finish had crackled giving it an alligator skin look – i always love when i come across a piece like that.  I never try and sand off the old finish, just use it to my advantage – it looks awesome when its glazed.  Its add lots of texture and gives it that authentic worn/antiqued look.

And the after…ooo laaaa laaaaa…..i LOVE it!!!

Some more pretty pics…

The 411

To see how i prepped the piano for paint – see this post on the 1st piano i did, i basically did the same thing here.  Lots of work taking it apart to paint, but i think its a must to get a good paint job!

Primer – Sherwin Williams adhesion primer tinted the same color as the paint.

Paint – Glidden Deepest Aqua

Glaze – Sherwin Williams Van Dyke brown oil based glaze

Clear coat – Sherwin Williams Wood Classics water based poly in a gloss

………………..

To see more painted pianos, go here and here!

1. kimberly
    kimberly says:

This is awesome. How much do you charge to refinish a piano? It is one thing that I am scared to take on and would love to have your expertise.

it just depends on the size, the work that needs to be put in it, if a glaze is wanted. If you would like a quote on a refinishing just send me an email :)

2. Madelaine
    Madelaine says:

I don’t know why you did this. That piano was gorgeous as it was. Now it is just a painted piano. Nothing special about it at all.

I did it because thats what the client wanted and i think its awesome! Although it was pretty before, its even prettier now! But thats the beauty of this world – we are all entitled to our own opinions :)

3. Christina
    Christina says:

Help! I’ve been painting furniture for awhile but had never used a poly clear coat before. I had a buffet that I had just painted & distressed but when I tried to put the clear coat on I was left with a really uneven splotchy look. I got the sw water based poly like you suggested the only difference I know of is I got it in a satin finish & I applied it with a cabinet roller. Do you know what went wrong? And more importantly how can I fix it? I’d like to save the piece without sanding and starting over entirely…

4. Christina
    Christina says:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! It looks the same…still really splotchy. The color underneath is black. What do you think I should do?