So i know tons of people that have these Lane cedar chests and they all look the same – old brown wood.  Very, very dated – but they are nice, heavy duty and classics so we cant just trash these things!

So a little paint and some new super cute fabric is all it took to update this 70’s chest into something that we would still buy today :)

I painted it with Valspars New Black and then got the black/white damask from Hobby Lobby – love it.

Before

furniturefeb2011 018

And after

cedar chest 002

cedar chest 004

cedar chest 007

Ok – now go and paint your grandmas cedar chest – you will be glad you did :)

1. pixilatedtoo
    pixilatedtoo says:

I am seriously loving that I found you. You are giving me some really fabulous ideas to work from!

Thanks!
    Lynda

2. Vicki
    Vicki says:

WOW is all I can say- I have an old hope chest that was my grandparents.. I have used it as a bench and a coffee table and now its a bench again.. but the veneer on the top has RINGS on it and is cracking.. its old and I love it but really it needs love… would it be a crime to bring it back to life with paint?

3. Snappy Di
    Snappy Di says:

Love it! My mom had a rounded top Lane cedar chest way back in the 50's and my sister still has it. Not sure what condition it is in though since she lives on the other coast of the U.S. I like the flat top better.

DI

4. Barefoot Apron
    Barefoot Apron says:

yay! Pillows pillows pillows is all you need… they are like shoes… you can just never have enough.. :) great job!

5. Jennifer
    Jennifer says:

This is amazing. I never would have seen the potential in it. Absolutely gorgeous. Can it come live in my house?

6. porter place cottage
    porter place cottage says:

I did one a few weeks ago. Mine was an old toy chest. I will try to get pictures up soon! I used burlap on the top of mine. Those old chests are great!

7. Jennie
    Jennie says:

CUTENESS! Whenever I visit you I wanna go out and paint the world:) Thanks for the inspiration. This is to die for!

Jennie {Cinnaberry Suite}

8. The Adolf Family Five
    The Adolf Family Five says:

This is such a great idea!!! My daughter has a chest given to her by her memaw (who is now gone) and it doesn't fit her style anymore, (it's very flowery and traditional) but she doesn't want to give it up of course…I'm going to have her choose some great fabric and a paint color that is fabulous, then we'll go to town! This way she can have her cedar chest that she loves for sentimental reasons *and* fits her style! And when her style changes…we can do it again! Thanks so much!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] {Updating a classic} | Sweet Pickins Furniture – >So i know tons of people that have these Lane cedar chests and they all look the same – old brown wood. Very, very dated – but they are nice, heavy […]