bench and hall tree 013

I get so many questions about how i paint furniture and the tools that i use – so i am going to break it down into a couple of posts.

This post will be about how i glaze furniture – i guess you probably can gather that by the title, but, just in case you didn’t read the title (how dare you)

Besides distressing a piece of furniture, this is my most favorite thing to do to bring a little life to a piece.  I do this on a lot of furniture that i paint – because i LOVE the way it looks.  Plus its a style that i really like, but i don’t personally have anything in my house that is glazed – so this is my way to get my “fix” – see what i am saying, did i loose ya?!

So, i am totally jumping ahead, i should do a post 1st about the tools that is use, then how i paint, and then maybe the glazing.  But this is my blog, and i am very disorganized and these are the pictures that i have taken so far :)

I first start off with a freshly painted piece of furniture.  This is a cedar/blanket chest that i just finished.  I painted it with a $5 oops paint that i got –  i love this color – i use it a LOT.  Its a creamy blue/gray/green – LOVE IT!!  It makes me want to paint all my walls antique white and repaint all my furniture this color (hmmm, that’s an idea, that i have been secretly thinking about….)

Before paint…

christmas 2010 138

After paint and a little bit of distressing…

table 001

For this piece  i used Valspar (Lowes) translucent mixing glaze and walnut stain (you can use any color of stain, or even paint).  I mix mine about 3:1, you really don’t need too much stain – a little goes a long way.  But, you can add as much stain/paint as you want – it just depends how you want the final result to be.

I use glaze because it helps me to be able to work with it longer – if you just rubbed paint/stain on a piece of furniture, you wouldn’t have a lot of time to work with it before it dried, that’s what the glaze is for.  The glaze is completely clear – you wont see any if it on your furniture.  I know that i am not explaining that very good – sorry…

table 010

So i mix everything up in a little plastic cup, then i use a cheap paint brush to brush it on the furniture.  My husband is asian – so we have chopsticks.  Well, i found that chopsticks were the perfect mixing tool for a lot of things.  But, i was using all of our “good” chopsticks – so now when we get chinese take-out, i take as many of the freebie chopsticks as i can – don’t tell :)

table 017

I start by brushing the glaze all over one part of the furniture.  You don’t need to be careful – go crazy, paint like your in 3rd grade.  Make sure you get into all the little cracks and imperfections – those are what will make your furniture look good when its all done.

Beautiful isn’t it…?!

table 004

Then take your best linens and wipe that thing down….not really, just use an old t-shirt

table 008

You can take as much or as little off as you want too – just depends on the look that you are going after.  Make sure and leave glaze in the cracks – because it looks good…

How long before you leave it on before you wipe it off just depends.  It depends on the temperature in the space you are working on, how porous the furniture is and how much glaze you want to stay on.  You will just have to play around with it.  Its fun.

table 018

When i was done with the front there was a few spots that i thought needed a little more, so i just slapped some on and re-wiped.  You can even do multiple coats to build it up.

table 019

Its that easy…so try it with a piece of furniture that you already have – it will totally change the feeling of it.

When all was done…

bench and hall tree 004

bench and hall tree 010

See how the glaze settles in to all the little cracks and dings…perfection :)

bench and hall tree 015

bench and hall tree 028bench and hall tree 017

Oh, can i tell you how much i love my red ruffle pillow – i got it at Target – and it was recent so i am sure they still have them.  And i LOVE blue and red together – so cute.  I also love my books that i tore of the covers and then tied them with burlap ribbon – who needs to read books – just use them for cute little vignettes :)

bench and hall tree 022

So, this bench is for sale.  Don’t tell my husband that i priced it high, because i secretly really want to keep it.  Its perfect for the end of my bed.  Please don’t sell… please don’t sell…

Ok, go glaze something :)

Linking up to these fun parties – go and check out all the projects!

1. Jen-CraftOManiac
    Jen-CraftOManiac says:

ADORE SIMPLY ADORE. I have a un-finished foot board bench… that i HAVE yet to paint and glaze.. can you be my BESTEST friend and come over and do it with me CHEESE! ;) Thanks for the 411 Jen

2. Carisa's Cakes
    Carisa's Cakes says:

Thank YOU! I have been wanting to find a credible source for glazing furniture for quite some time–and I trust your expertise- you're furniture and house are AMAZING! I do have ONE question— Have you ever tried to paint laminate? I just finished painting up a HUGE entertainment center/system and some of the paint is chipping and peeling– do you think glazing would help to prevent the peeling and chipping? I have painted other laminate things but this particular piece(s) is really frustrating me! Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I love your blog so much, I am a faithful follower!! :)

• shrimp
      shrimp says:

You need a special type of paint for going over laminate, as you are essentially painting over plastic. Regular wood paint doesn’t cut it, I’ve tried. Try your local store and ask what they’d recommend.

• Mill
        Mill says:

If you use Annie Sloan paint you can paint anything, plastic and all! You can find all kinds of recipes for chaulk paint ( which is what Annie Sloan paints are.) Annie’s paints are a little pricey and limited in color but with the paint recipes you will find on line , the colors are endless and will make much more for less $ vs. Annie’s quart size for around $ 38.00. Have fun and good luck!

• m
      m says:

The paint and chipping is probably because of the primer you used or didn’t use. If you didn’t use any primer try this stuff from home depot: (from home depot)
      \https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3.1000123375.html

3. InMyOwnStyle
    InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Sausha-

I love to glaze and in the past have used white paint mixed with the glaze. I am going to be redoing my guest room furniture and haven't yet picked a color. I think I will glaze with a stain this time. Thanks for telling us your technique.
    Your chest came out beautiful. Nice to find the perfect ooops color.
    My best- Diane

4. Kim @ Second Time Furniture
    Kim @ Second Time Furniture says:

I have glazed OR stained quite a few pieces, but I never thought to add stain to the glaze! Thanks for the tutorial! The chopsticks part was really funny!

5. Lexie & Jeff
    Lexie & Jeff says:

Great tut! I clicked on over from Skip to My Lou-I love all your work and your decorating style-just beautiful!

6. MoeWest
    MoeWest says:

Have you ever glazed a piece that was painted black? I want to bring out the details on a dining room buffet and china cabinet, but I'm not sure what would look good on black.

• Karen
      Karen says:

I would also like to know how to glaze over black. I have a desk that is black that has a lot of detail and would like to bring it out.

I dont think a brown glaze would show up on black, you could either try a white glaze or Valspar makes lots of metallic type glazes that might look really good over black, or just try distressing the details to get them to stand out.

• Rebecca
          Rebecca says:

I am going to do bedroom furniture I just bought. I will be keeping it no matter how it turns out. Can you tell what color to get at the store used on this piece. I love the color, but there are so many to choose from at the store. I am not great with color yet. Thank you

The paint for that one was a $5 oops/mistint paint that i bought so i have no idea the name of the color. It was just a really light blue/green/gray!

7. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever
    Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

I love this! You make it look so simple. I'm going to show your post to hubby when he gets home. I've decided I hate our coffee table and I'd love to do something like this. I'm new to blogging, I'd love if you'd make a visit to mine!

8. Jana
    Jana says:

I have a china cabinet to make-over so I look forward to your other posts too. It's been in my family forever so it needs to turn out good.

9. Tabitha
    Tabitha says:

Thanks so much for the great tutorial on glazing-I am really itching to try it now!!
    A bit off topic but I love the little jars that were on the cakestand in the post about you kid's bathroom redo. Could you share where you got them? I'm thinking they'd be perfect for holding odds and ends in my scrap room! And I do love glass jars! :) Thanks!

10. Jenn
    Jenn says:

Oh so cute! This is a great tutorial. I worked with wax a little this last summer and had a similar result. But, I've always been completely mystified by glaze. Thanks for explaining! :)

11. Jennifer~My Vintage Bliss
    Jennifer~My Vintage Bliss says:

I love it~ I was looking for some ideas on what to do with the bench in my entry way. I think this would be perfect.Thanks for the tutorial!

12. asp
    asp says:

Omg!! That was awesome!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I've been hesitant in the past, but now I think that I might do it. Do you think that I could do it on my kitchen cabinets?? I painted them about 2 years ago and I am in the mood for change.

13. Mrs T
    Mrs T says:

that is such a cute little blanket chest! it would look good in my living room as a coffee table :)

would you mind sharing the paint code so we can all have it? pretty please! :)

14. Chris
    Chris says:

I wish i could find oops paint like that! Thanks for the tips with glazing…now to find the right piece to begin with.

15. Colleen @ MuralMaker&More
    Colleen @ MuralMaker&More says:

Chopsticks, huh? I can honestly say I've never used chopsticks for any painting project, but now I have a great reason for more Chinese food (my fav!).
    thanks for all the great tips. You make it look super easy.

Would love you to stop by this weekend and link up to Passion for Paint!

16. Terry
    Terry says:

You have quite a sense of humor there and it was a fun post. I have been painting furniture for years and years but I have never mixed glaze with stain. Brilliant idea that I will be trying out next time. Thanks for the post. Love your blog. Terry

17. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
    Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

sausha, that looks fantabulous! and i am so with you- hoarding paint sticks, chopsticks, toothpicks- whatever i can use for projects! :) thanks for joining my party!

18. Sandy
    Sandy says:

thank you for this information.. I've painted many of my furniture pieces white and now for the glaze/stain… also my kitchen cabinets are waiting for me to get to them..(their painted white also)..I tend to do things in stages..haha
    Very helpful post!
    Sandy

19. Korrie@RedHenHome
    Korrie@RedHenHome says:

I did *not* know you could mix glaze with stain! And I glaze stuff on a regular basis! Thanks for the great tip, and the chest looks fabulous!

20. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com
    Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

Wow – you are so talented!! I am going to feature this in a DIY feature post later this weekend. Thanks for linking up!!!

xox
    Jen

21. Denise
    Denise says:

I swooned all the way through your post. I love your oops paint. You are right – it is fabulous! You tutorial was wonderful. I love to glaze, but still got a couple of ideas I plan to try next time.

If you have time, I would love for you to link this post to my blog party at http://firstadream.blogspot.com/

22. Carolyn@ Sweet Chaos
    Carolyn@ Sweet Chaos says:

I haven't painted a piece of furniture in quite a long time, and I'm excited to get back to it. Thanks for the inspiring post! The bench looks fabulous. I have that same throw blanket :)

23. The Frosted Gardner
    The Frosted Gardner says:

Wonderful tutorial. And a beautiful piece. And it could be used in so many fun places. Glad I stopped by! :)

24. Bonnie
    Bonnie says:

wonderful tutorial! We are restoring an old log home and I want painted/glazed cabinets in the kitchen since the house is too much wood! Thanks for the great pics, directions, etc. Wonderful help since we are DIY'ers

25. squishsmom
    squishsmom says:

THANKS so much for sharing your formula. I'm working on applying it to a freestanding cupboard my hubby made me. It took the "new" right off it ;D IT LOOKS AWESOME!

26. Teri
    Teri says:

This chest is beautiful. Did you paint the chest red first? It looks like little bits of red peeking out from under the blue. It gives it a nice effect.

27. Robin W.
    Robin W. says:

Hello — Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial! I have bedroom furniture that is a similar finish to your chest. I have questions on 2 issues — Did you sand the piece before applying the first coat of paint, and, if so, do I need to use an electric sander? Second — As with one of your other readers, I want to pain this furniture black but have a brown stain distressed look showing through. Can I use this method?

I would greatly appreciate your advice on making my new bedroom look great!

Robin

28. Shannon
    Shannon says:

Love this post – I didn't know you could mix stain into glaze!!! What a nicer finish than trying to find a paint in the right colour!

29. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Ok, so there was no sanding? I always thought people sand the edges like on the corners of drawers to create that look. No? Do you sand beforehand or just get started. Thanks for the help. I'm a new follower!

30. Anneke
    Anneke says:

Is this how you would make a black glaze??? Like on the little round side table you just did? I remember the first time I painted and glazed these beautiful creamy white nightstand/dressers with a mocha glaze. My 5 year old just about freaked out like I was ruining them. Being my little supporter, instead of saying, "Wow….that looks ugly mom" (before wiping them down), she said, "Weeeeeell…..I'm not so sure about that….." :-) Love that kid!

31. Anneke
    Anneke says:

Sorry…forgot to ask, can you mix the glaze with Minwax polyshades, and do you use oil based, water based, or both?

Thank you!!! Your work is inspiring! :-)

32. Heidi @ Honeybear Lane
    Heidi @ Honeybear Lane says:

Okay so I'm about to glaze my first piece of furniture and I have a couple questions: what color stain would you use if you wanted a piece of furniture to look aged and antique? And if I use a wood stain could I use one that's a polyetherene and a stain in one? Do you do the poly after every piece you paint? Thanks!!

33. Shannon@vintagerestyled
    Shannon@vintagerestyled says:

It's been a while since I glazed anything, but I paln to now! What do you finish it with. or is the glaze protective?

34. dining furniture perth
    dining furniture perth says:

hey.., it looks very pretty after putting some decoration thing on it.
    this is very good. but do you ave only single or any more..
    if you have some other then please show me.

35. Elise
    Elise says:

Thanks so much for this info. I have been Googling this all day and this was the best info by far. I am buying new stock cabinets from HD and want to glaze them so they look like the Thomasville ones that cost 10k!! I work there so I have been asking around but get differing opinions. The color is Harvest-a raised panel style by American Classics-and I am ordering darker crown and light rail from American Woodmark since stock company doesn't make a light rail. I want to glaze them so the dark color gets just on the raised or recessed edges. I found a paint color that matches the moulding…can I mix a water-based paint with the glazing? The cabinets are maple stained doors…not painted. Thank you so much for this post..very informative.

36. Malane
    Malane says:

Love your tutorials! Quick question… Do you mix 3 parts glaze to 1 part stain or vice versa? I just re-finished a shelf that I painted in antique white and glazed with 3 parts stain/1 part glaze & did not come out with a beautiful effect as shown above. Looks more like weathered/barn wood. Any advice?

37. Angee
    Angee says:

What color did you paint the chest? I did not see the name – just that it was a $5.00 oops paint. I want to paint my bedroom furniture and glaze over it. Maybe that color would work? I was thinking cream but I love your chest. it kinda looks like a dirty cream. yes?? Thank you in advance for the reply.

38. Angee
    Angee says:

Also, do you recommend spraying the paint base with an airless sprayer or rolling it on. Which would be better for durability. And also again, what was the name of the color and is it oil base or latex. Thank you!!!

39. Deb Taber
    Deb Taber says:

turned out beautifully! I did this to two pieces I recently repainted and distressed, because of your tutorial and love the final results.

40. River Mama
    River Mama says:

Sausha,

I purchased the same glaze you show and planned to mix the same stain (my favorite), but when the paint lady at Lowe’s saw it she had a tiny hissy fit. Apparently it is sacrilege to mix oil based stain with the glaze. You didn’t have any problems with the finish (bubbling, separation, etc.) did you? Love the chest, by the by.

haha!! nope,no problems, just make sure to keep it stirred and you will be just fine :)

41. cindy
    cindy says:

AFter following your instructions, Just finished painting a buffet and ready to glaze. I can tell it’s going to be beautiful. The color is a creamy light yellow and will use a black glaze. What do I need to use to seal it all so that its smooth and nothing still stick or stain it?

assuming you used latex paint, just use any water based poly and that will be it! I love the Wood Classics brand water based poly found @ Sherwin Williams – its really good stuff!

42. Amy
    Amy says:

This is a great tutorial for someone who has never glazed before. Going to try this today with a crappy bed side cabinet I found on the side of the road. May post my before/after if I like the result.

43. Robin
    Robin says:

I am going to use your tutorial next time! I just did a distressed furniture attempt but my stain became sticky and now my nightstand isn’t drying. Any advice?! I used deglosser, primed, painted, sanded for distressed areas and then applied my minwax stain. I wiped off as much as I could but it’s been drying for hours and is still tacky! I’m discouraged!

hmmm, i havent had that problem before! you could take a rag with mineral spirits on it and wipe over it, that should remove any excess stain that isnt drying

44. Natalie
    Natalie says:

I have been SEARCHING for a tutorial of how to do this!! I didnt even know it was called glazing so it was hard to find something you don’t know what it’s called! So thank you, this
    Is perfect!!! I was JUST about to go use just plain stain, I didn’t know about the glaze. So thanks!!

45. Tina
    Tina says:

Hi
    We are going to try on a pine dresser we have brought. Do you use a semi gloss, full gloss or flat paint?

Thanks

46. Phyllis
    Phyllis says:

Thanks for the great tutorial…….am going to try it today!!!!

In the meantime, what is that beautiful gray/green/creamy blue color you used? Is it already mixed or did you mix it?

thanks for your reply,

Phyllis

that was just an oops paint (mistinted) and sold for cheap, so i dont know the name of it – they blacked out the formula. sorry!!

47. Sara
    Sara says:

Apparently oil based glaze is unavailable in Canada and has been disallowed by government regulation – like most oil based products. I am trying very hard to learn what to substitute it with and am getting nowhere. I have my chest of drawers disassembled, sanded, primed and painted in the garage waiting to be distressed and glazed but…. PLEASE HELP?

48. Erin
    Erin says:

Question. Did you mix oil based stain and latex glaze? That is what I believe based on the products pictured but I am curious since latex and oil don’t really mix. I’ve sanded and painted my tables but am not sure about the oil/latex combo.

yes it will work, you just need to keep it stirred otherwise it may start to separate (some stains dont separate at all and some do in my experience)

49. mary
    mary says:

Hi – just came upon your site. I just painted an armoire a beautiful creamy white in a satin finish. Can you mix an oil base stain into the Valspar glaze? Isn’t the glaze a water base product? Is it ok to mix the two?

Thanks for your help
    Mary

50. Lorrie
    Lorrie says:

Hi Sasha-I have been using ASCP on a few piece of furniture however I am not happy with the results I am getting with waxing. Is it possible to use your glazing technique over chalk paint instead of waxing? Thanks so much and love your blog.
    Lorrie – MN

The chalk paint is to porous for the glazing technique, it will just suck it up and it wont go on even and it will be hard to even it out. Its best to use regular latex paint if you want to glaze.

• ChrisT
      ChrisT says:

If you put a thin layer of topcoat (wax, varnish,poly) over your chalk paint you can then glaze. After glazing you would then put on your regular top coat. I’ve glazed over chalk paint many times using this technique with great success. Otherwise, the chalk paint will suck up the glaze, stain your paint, and you will be unable to wipe off the glaze or control it in any way.

51. Dawn
    Dawn says:

I agree with all the other posters – what great information you’ve posted! I read several of your articles while researching for my own project. Despite my research I tackled my project somewhat hastily and had a few problems :-) I picked up a dresser on Craigslist that was painted bright orange. Looked to be the first coat over spraypainted white or primer. Rather than priming, I picked up a behr paint and primer in one and painted it a pretty green-blue. All seemed well and I let it dry. On to the antiquing…on the advice of the Home Depot rep I picked up a designer antiquing glaze to use. I feel I let the paint dry thoroughly, but after applying the glaze when I went to rub it off it pulled up the paint. Uh oh! Had I painted over an oil based paint? That was the only thing I could think. I went ahead and pulled off what I’d applied so far (it might have been a cool look, but I decided not to run with it, repainted, and let that part dry again). Then I reached for my oil based stain and used that straight. I had to work fast and it came out a little rough, but pretty much the look I was going for. But now what? It seems to not be drying (we have pretty high hummidity). It’s dry the the touch, but I noticed the other day doing a little spit polish it seemed to wipe up a little. Will it dry? And assuming one day it does should I seal it? I am thinking I doomed myself to only using polyeurethane (not priming it properly)- and I’m not happy about the prospect of using it, or the ultimate results. Thanks again for the great blog! I don’t think I would have attempted my project or kept working with it without the howto articles.

52. Andria Hiselman
    Andria Hiselman says:

Hi, Love your site.
    I’m doing all my doors inside my home in this technique. What is the base coat. Is it eggshell, flat ??

• Cindy
      Cindy says:

How did your doors turn out with this method? Getting ready to do my pantry door using this technique. A country blue (semi gloss) with a dark brown glaze.Not sure if I will finish with the recommended clear poly coat.

53. Karen K
    Karen K says:

I saw this tutorial on Yellow Cape Cod’s blog. Love this glaze technique and want to try it on a large armoire rather than using dark wax. I’m using chalk paint.
    1) do I have to sand in between coats of paint?
    2) will the powder in chalk paint affect the way the stain/glaze goes on and wipes off?
    I can’t wait to try this. It looks beautiful on your hope chest.

No, you dont have to sand between coats of paint, but for the smoothest finish possible you will need to. Glazing is not the best with chalk paint, its to flat and will absorb too much of the glaze. Glazing is best when done over at least a satin finish.

54. Megan
    Megan says:

I love this! How do you think this would work on veneered furniture? I have a super ugly dresser that could use some sprucing, but it is covered in veneer.

you would for sure need to paint it 1st otherwise the glaze probably wont stick. I would prime it 1st with an adhesion primer, paint it and then glaze it :)

55. Theresa A
    Theresa A says:

Ok, I finally broke down and went to buy some glaze, after reading your post! lol I have been doing without it, but I can’t wait to get using it – Your pieces look awesome!! Thank you for sharing!

56. Sonja
    Sonja says:

Sorry – please on more time for the not-that-smart people ;-) Acutally, I´m from Germany and O do have some problems with the things you use and their names… So: I start with sanding the dresser, than i paint with a color I like? Water-based acrylic latex? Same as I would use for painting walls? Satin, you said? White, I like white.

Is it correct, after painting and drying and sanding I start with the glazing, mixing 3 parts of mixing glaze with 1 part stain? I can use dark stain, e.g. ebony? Then I use the shirt for rubbing off until it looks nice?

Sorry again for asking that much but I´ve been to all kind of stores, getting the wrong answers, sometimes only asking faces…… Seems like they don´t really know what their selling and/or how to use it. Your work simply looks perfect and wonderful!!!

Thank you!!! Great. Just great.

57. Sharon Mole
    Sharon Mole says:

I have a shabby chic table that needs help, it looks yellow instead of creme and goldest, the table is also shinning looking, what I want is to look like it is off white{creme} distressing looking with some wood coming throw, I have never done anything like this before, do you have ideas, hope you understand what I.m talking about, not sure if I’m clear about what I want. Thank you for listening to my problem

just give the table a light sand, paint it the color that you want and then use a sanding block to sand down the areas that you want the original wood color to come through :)

58. Tricia
    Tricia says:

I love your work! And I have that same throw so I need that red pillow now. My sister and I have always loved to paint our own furniture but now we are starting to sell some of our refinished & repurposed projects. I come to your site for tips & inspiration. Just painted a beautiful dresser a cream color that I love so I am going to try this glazing technique on it. Thanks for sharing your tips.

59. Barbara
    Barbara says:

Thanks! You explained this very well! Especially the chop stick part! Ha! i’ve always used dark wax, but I’m going to give this a try, one day!
    Keep up the great work,
    Barbara

60. Renae
    Renae says:

Thank you for making this so easy, I am not a perfection with anything and your tutorial simplified it for me. I love how you wing it.. lol I think we could be related! Most of my life is winged, my projects especially. Thanks again.

61. Kaaren
    Kaaren says:

Thanks. Two quick questions. 1. Did you use eggshell, flat, satin or gloss paint? I’m asking because i just did a chest with chalk paint and the glaze didn’t move well. Thought maybe it needed more of a smooth surface. 2. Was you stain a water base? I’m asking because the glaze is water base (I assume) and i would think u need a water base stain but maybe not. Thanks. Kaaren

i normally use at least a satin paint, that way its smooth enough so that the glaze will go on without being so porous that it sucks up all the glaze making it hard to get even. My stain was an oil based, but it did mix ok with water based glaze – i guess there are certain emollients in there to make it work.

62. Rachael
    Rachael says:

If I used Annie Sloan chalk paint on an old hutch, could I glaze it with this technique or is the Annie Sloan Wax required so the paint won’t mess up?

63. dressers
    dressers says:

Your style is really unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this blog.

64. TS
    TS says:

Just wanted to say thanks for clarifying that you sanded it AFTER painting it to let the wood show through a bit. I’ve always done the same when working with stain but I’m going to attempt glaze today. Most tutorials online don’t seem to sand after painting.

65. Carolyn
    Carolyn says:

I am starting with an oak hutch cabinet it doesn’t have polyurethane on it. Do I still need to sand before applying a coat of paint.

Thank you for the help. I will look for your response. Also after reading your blog, I will use your method of latex paint, sand areas to expose the wood and then glaze/stain or glaze/paint.

I am going to try to get some basic creamy blue/gray color and either use the glaze with brown paint or stain.

What is your opinion?

66. Priscilla Kier
    Priscilla Kier says:

I am about to paint my bedroom furniture and each piece has a strip of detailing that looks like leaves carved into the wood. I am curious if it is possible to only use glaze on the strip of detail rather than the entire piece of furniture, or if that would look odd?

no, i have done that a few times, we didnt necessarily want the glazed look all over, but we wanted those details to stand out even more, so glaze was just applied to those areas :)

67. Tresa
    Tresa says:

Curious………….do you find that the poly causes cream colored paint to yellow? Or does the glaze/stain help this from happening?

68. Mindie
    Mindie says:

After your glazing and its all dry, do you put a clear coat on of any sort or a rub on wax? Or does the glaze provide enough sheen. I always see people stating their pieces are glazed and waxed. I love your tutorial by the way and your project turned out great!

69. Kelly
    Kelly says:

I don’t know if you already answered this, but what is the exact color or creamy/blue/grey/green? I’d love to buy it, but I need a bit more exact name on the color info. Thanks! This is beautiful!!

70. Val's new to this...
    Val's new to this... says:

Hi! Great tut…wondering if you have one on how you distressed the corners, or is it just the stain giving it that look? HELP!! Love it, but feel like I am missing something!

71. Michelle
    Michelle says:

I have a question….is there a way to paint something black and then use a stain or glaze (turquoise or hot pink) to accent it. I have done my kitchen in off with and coffee glaze, but looking for a different look in my bathroom. Thanks so much!!

72. KayCee
    KayCee says:

Okay do I spray painted an old end table silver and wanted to glaze it to a pewter. The glaze tuned it almost black! So upset by this. I dd not use the glaze in a heavy handed way!

73. KayCee
    KayCee says:

Okay so I spray painted an old end table silver and wanted to glaze it to a pewter. The glaze tuned it almost black! So upset by this. I dd not use the glaze in a heavy handed way! Please help!